Wednesday 14 January 2015

Bravo Galliano.

As I have said in my previous post, I have been crazy excited about Galliano's return to the fashion world. However, I have to admit that, when I first heard that Galliano had been appointed as the new creative director of Martin Margiela I had mixed feelings. Maison Martin Margiela is one of my favourite designers, therefore, my initial feelings were don't fix what isn't broken. I love Margiela, exactly how it was; so why change?

What was difficult for me to process was what sort of direction the brand was going to go in. Margiela and Galliano are two polar opposites aesthetically. Galliano; flamboyant and eccentric; whilst Margiela was typically androgynous with a clinical look toward deconstruction. With both designers at such different ends of the spectrum, it could go devastatingly wrong or fantastically perfect. Both are genius in different rights.

But the wait is now over, was it as I had anticipated? I have picked my 4 favourite looks from the Couture 2015 show.




It would be foolish to deny the talent that is Galliano, and it is impossible to deny the immediate and quite drastic aesthetic that he has brought to this collection.... BUT.... He pulled it off in the greatest of ways.

This collection still holds everything that you think of with Galliano; the detail, the creativity and of course the eccentricity. But what I applaud is that he has still managed to preserve the essence of what Margiela stood for. If you look at the above photos, each of the outfits have the strong sense of deconstruction and precise execution that Margiela was renowned for. From the exposed shoulder pads and pad stitching in picture 2, to the raw hems and exquisite tailoring in picture 3. The whole collection has married the two designers in such a way that I never thought possible. The transition was seamless and although a huge change to Margiela label, the move has not been a wrong one.

Welcome home Galliano; you are back where you belong.

What did you guys think?

Charlotte
Kiss



No comments:

Post a Comment