Sunday 4 January 2015

Guy Bourdin

I have to admit right now that I am absolutely gutted to be missing the Guy Bourdin exhibition at Somerset House. When living down south I was able to visit almost every exhibition in London that I wanted to see. I find them fascinating and also extremely inspiring; it reminds me why I love fashion and art.

This exhibition is on from 27th November - 15th March 2015. It just so happens that me and my boyfriend are going to London only the weekend after to see the Alexander McQueen exhibition so its a real shame that we wont be able to go to the Guy Bourdin one as well. I think it was about 2 years ago; I went to see the Tim Walker:Story Teller exhibition at Somerset House and it was amazing. Tim Walkers work is just sublime. I used much of his work in my essays at university, as well as design inspiration. The fairytale likeness can transcend you into a world of possibility and imagination.

Guy Bourdin 1979
I first discovered Guy Bourdin when I went to university and started to read much more about fashion theory and the different movements over decades. There was one book in particular when I remember first seeing the photographer. The book was called 'Fashion, Desire and Anxiety'. I used a lot of Bourdin's work when I was writing my dissertation. My dissertation was based on the argument of whether the work of Alexander McQueen was based on a love for woman or misogyny. It was therefore imperative that I looked at what was happening before and during Alexander McQueen's rise to fame. It therefore seemed to go hand in hand with the sexual and deathly images of Guy Bourdin. At the time, fashion was all about glamour with the likes of Versace raining supreme on the catwalks, so when work such as Guy Bourdin and McQueen came around it really caused a controversy in the world of fashion.

I could write so much about this photographer but I want to keep these blogs short. But anyone who loves fashion, photography and something a little different. Then check out Guy Bourdin. There are many books available and if possible; go to the exhibition!

Charlotte.
Kiss

No comments:

Post a Comment