Friday 16 January 2015

From Hull to New York.

This is the first post where I am going to talk a little bit more about me and my job. As you may have seen in my 'About Me' I have briefly mentioned that I am currently a Visual Merchandiser working for the premium department store House of Fraser.

But before I start posting about my current job and some of my work I want to tell you a little bit more about my background and how I got to where I am and where I want to be. Before I started working at House of Fraser, I gained a BA Honours in Fashion Atelier at the University for the Creative Arts. Essentially this is the study of tailoring and couture techniques. It was a very demanding course but I was committed to what I loved.

Through my studies at UCA, I was fortunate enough to have completed two internship's. My first incredible experience was working at Marc Jacobs in New York for half a year. At Marc Jacobs I was able to help alongside designers and pattern cutters through the development of two Ready-to Wear collections; both Resort 2013 and Spring/Summer 2013.

Marc Jacobs, Resort 2013

Marc Jacobs, Ready-to-Wear Spring 2013

I still to this day look back and find it almost impossible to believe that I did that. I mean... I'm an unknown girl from the tiniest of villages outside of Hull; and then I was thrown into the middle of New York City working for one of the worlds biggest designers. It is mind blowing and words cannot describe what an absolute pleasure it was to have worked alongside such a talented team. If I never do anything else with the rest of my life, I am happy to know that I achieved my dream.

BUT, just as I thought things couldn't get much better for me; I bagged myself a second internship; and this time... it was COUTURE!!!!!

After I had graduated I wanted to complete another internship. Experience is one of the most important things in the fashion industry and I am the type of person who constantly wants to better myself. So I took it upon myself to write the best cover letter that I could have written and sent it to as many designers that I could find in the back of Vogue and kept my fingers crossed.

A few weeks later I received an email from the reception at Viktor and Rolf inviting me for an interview. The following week I flew out to Amsterdam where I had my interview. 2 months later I was living in Amsterdam working in the atelier on the 2014 Fall Couture collection for Viktor and Rolf. To top it off, we were all taken to attend Paris fashion week and help backstage at the show.

Viktor and Rolf, Fall 2013 Couture.


Having completed both of my internship's and graduated university, I had nothing to go too. For the past 3 years my life had been crazy, I had lived in 3 different places; each completely different to the next and now the realisation that reality had hit sent me pretty low.

After returning home I was applying for jobs like a crazed woman. Sending my CV off to every fashion house on the planet; I had zero success.. until one day I came across a position that was so close to home but so perfect for what I wanted. It was an advertisement at House of Fraser asking for a Visual Merchandiser.

I had my interview and I got it!

1 and a half years later down the line, my life is completely different. I LOVE MY JOB. To say that I had no idea where I was heading, this job has given me so much more than I could have ever expected. I always believe that things happen for a reason and this really was meant to. Although it was not where I had expected to see myself; the reality of this industry is that everyone starts somewhere and this was my start. As amazing as all of my experience in New York and Amsterdam was; it cost me and my family thousands of pounds. They say that you don't have to have money to be successful in fashion, but to some extent you do. And even if you do, there are still no guarantees or promises of a job at the end of it. But for me I have been lucky. Since finding this job I have met some of the most amazing friends but most importantly allowed me to find someone who was more than special. I found my very best friend, a guy who has always pushed me to go forward and keeps me smiling when I need him the most. I met my boyfriend Danny.

Now I have my first step towards a careeer in fashion, I only grow more eager to further myself. With a support from the amazing people around me I can't wait to see where my job will take me.

For all of those people who sit and trail through pages of fashion and day dreaming of 'making it', be patient but don't lose sight.

Charlotte
Kiss


2 comments: